Saturday, April 23, 2016

Another Favorite Project - #02 Bateau-Neck Pullover

Another favorite project that I am still knitting is the Bateau Neck Pullover sweater by Patty Lyons for Vogue. To keep somewhat with the pattern yarn requirements I spun up a blend of oatmeal BlueFaced Leicester wool and silk into a light chunky weight yarn. My original plan is to dye my finished sweater but as I have carried this project along to various knitting groups I get a  response mostly of ‘no, you can’t dye this...it’s beautiful just as it is!’ And it is very pretty the way it is. I’m so thankful to have other voices point this out to me. On the inside though I’m continue to imagine this project in a rhaspberry wine with just the very edges of the arms & waist bands dipped in a pickle green. Maybe I should make 2 of these: one in natural, one in my suggested colorway.


Handspun yarn is really interesting to make a garment; there are thick & thin parts of the yarn throughout. Overall, it creates a warm rustic wearable item. Because the fibers that I chose to blend are next to the skin soft these pullovers can be worn from Autumn to Spring.

This photo shows how my WIP with the piece in front blocked and the piece behind it not blocked.
It is knitted in the oatmeal BFL wool/silk blend, chunky handspun.


 And now for a light grey version and spun slightly more chunky….


It is a big ol' bundle of yarn

Close up showing off the blend of fibers



No comments:

Post a Comment